James (Jim) Noles was commissioned Second Lieutenant of Armor upon graduation from Florence State University (University of North Alabama) in August, 1967. He served in a number of positions as an Armor officer and as a Foreign Area Officer culminating as Assistant Commandant of the Armor School, Ft. Knox, KY.
Jim retired in August, 1992, after 25 years of service. Jim Noles’ civil and military education includes the Armor Officer Basis Course, the Ranger Course, the Armor Officer Advanced Course, Airborne School, Arabic Language School, USMC Command and Staff College, and Army War College. He holds a Masters of Public Administration from the University of Alabama.
Among Jim Noles’ assignments are the following:
- Infantry Platoon Leader, A Co. 2-39th Infantry, 9th Infantry Div (Viet Nam)
- Boat Section Leader, 1097th Boat Company, Mobile Riverine, 9th Infantry Division (Viet Nam)
- Armored Cavalry Troop Commander, B Troop, 1st Sqdn., 2nd Armored Cavalry Regimen (ACR) (Germany)
- S-3, 1st Sqdn, 2nd ACR (Germany)
- Arabic Foreign Area Officer, US Embassy, North Yemen
- Armored Battalion Commander, 1-37 Armor, 1st Armored Division, (Germany)
- Corps G-1, III Corps, (Ft Hood, TX)
- Armored Brigade Commander, 3rd Bde, 3rd Armored Division (Germany)
- Corps G-3, V Corps, (Germany)
- Assistant Commandant of the U.S. Army Armor School, Ft. Knox, KY.
Jim Noles’ awards and decorations include:
- Distinguished Service Medal
- Silver Star (1st OLC)
- Defense Superior Service Medal
- Legion of Merit
- Soldier’s Medal
- Bronze Star Medal
- Bronze Star Medal with Valor Device
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal (3rd OLC)
- Army Commendation Medal with Valor device
- Army Commendation Medal (1st OLC)
- Viet Nam Service Medal
- United Nations Service Medal
- Southwest Asia Service Medal
- Combat Infantryman’s badge
- Ranger Tab
- Parachutist badge
- Republic of Viet Nam Gallantry Cross with silver star.
Following retirement from the Army, Jim worked in the energy field with emphasis on the Middle East. Jim lives in Florence, Alabama, with his bride of 50 years, Jackie. He lives just across the street from his three granddaughters.